Saturday, November 14, 2009

Space Whales (search google if you don't believe they are real)

This story was written as part of a word war for nanowrimo. Apologies for the lack of formatting and grammatical correctness. It was written in 15 minutes completely off the cuff.

Enjoy.

P.s it is to be continued with some point with pirates and aliens and all sorts of fun stuff

~~~~~~


The whale drifted through space, it' epic journey long and uncountable by mortal man. It was a massive thing, easily kilometres, nay thousands of kilometres long, it's massive form hardened against the vaccuum of space, it traveresed the empty blackness seeking something, something only the Lord in the heavens above could know. Certainly it was not something that I was wont to be able to discern, I merely wished to view the gargantuan beast with my own eyes, marvel at the mere fact of it's existence and put to doubt my fears of the existence of the Creator. I knew in my heart he or perhaps it was she, existed, after all, I was alive was I not? Surely such a thing as the world and humanity and from there, the galaxy and all the myriad races and cultures could not merely have come into existence as mere happenstance? No it could not be. I had faith as I was taught, not merely in my teachings, but the faith itself had come to be my own.

That was why I stood here on the deck of the Celestial Dawn. Not a captain of such a magnificent vessel, no that was not my place, I was here as chaplain. Chaplain and explorer. We were here on a mission of peace to bring proof of such a thing to the misguided masses. To reignite the fervour that should exist in the hearts of all mortal man. The captain stood to attention at the helm,his eyes on the massive window that did give the view of space before us. This craft was specially designed to give us the widest possible window with which to view the heavens. Such sights had we seen! The forming of supernova, the collapse of stars. The birth of comets and meteors and such wonders as I had never dreamed of before my feet left my native soil.

Our craft was also crewed by the most stalwart men and women of the fatih. Each one a believer all there to support our sacred mission. Not one of them shared a doubt that we would cmoplete our mission. Surely even now we had gathered enough evidence to prove to the heathens that no mere chance could bring such wonders into play.

"Sir!", cried the third officer, "I have contact, bearng six-one-nine two-three-eight. It's large sir, easily two thousand kilometres long and Sir, it doesn't register as any known metal or material."

The captain smiled and said "Bring it up on the main screen please, it's still too far away to see with the naked eye I gather?"

"Correct captain, briniging up on screen now"

I held my breath in suspense as the image resolved, it looked nothing so much as a long tube gliding through space, it's shape delineated more the stars it blocked than by actually seeing the creature itself'.

"YES" i cried with exultant fervour. "We have found it, there is your proof of God! Surely none other could hav created such a massive, such a fantastic, such a wondrous beast!", in my religious excitement I mistook the captain's smile for joy, I too believed he shared the same faith as I did, in my innoncent naivete did I doom that poor beast. Why did I not see the truth? Surely God ould have guided me to realise that these people did notshare the same goal as I? Or was I blinded by arrogance? My own pride causing me to doom such a magnificent lonely creature.

I looked on in shock at the next words out of the captains mouth, " Ready the laser harpoons", he called. It took a few seconds for it to sink in. Harpoons? Laser harpoons? Surely not!

"Captain?" I asked tentatively.

"Relax Father," he replied, and truly did I see his evil smile at that point," It is in the name of God that we are hunters, and that is the bigest prize any captain could hope to claim."

I must admit I saw red, I threw my teachings out of the metaphorical window. Blinded by my emotions did I charge at the captain in a furious rage. I raised my hand to strike him down when my forward momentem was halted in a crushing grip.

The first mate was ready and had grabbed my wrist as I raised it, he was a young man, strong and burly and I could no more hope to wrest free, than I could hope to spare the beautful space whale that was about to be captured and killed for mere sport. Another of the crew came forward to hold me and together with the fist mate they did lok to the captain.

"Shall we take him to the brig captain?" asked the irst mate.

"No, I want the old fool to watch" replied the captain as he turned to look out the window.

"Fire."


No comments:

Post a Comment